Jobs & Economic Benefits
The wind turbine technician is the fastest-growing job in America and will continue to be through 2024, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The wind energy industry accounts for over 25,000 U.S. factory jobs in America today. An April 2017, study by Navigant, projects that the wind industry will create another 8,000 U.S. factory jobs in the next four years. Today, nearly 80% of wind turbine is made in America, up from 25% in 2005. By the end of 2020, including jobs in the communities around wind farms and factories, the wind energy industry will support a total of 248,000 jobs nationwide.
An investment in wind power in Kansas is an investment in jobs across the state, including jobs in operations, maintenance, construction, manufacturing and many support sectors. In addition, wind projects produce lease payments for landowners and significant community investments for the life of the wind farm.
- 2016 direct and indirect jobs supported: 5,001 - 6,000 (Source: AWEA)
- Total capital investment through early 2017: $9.9 billion
- Annual land lease payments: $13-16 million
Wind Related Manufacturing and Suppliers
The United States has over 500 manufacturing facilities producing products for the wind industry that range from blade, tower and turbine nacelle assembly facilities to raw component suppliers, including fiberglass and steel.
Number of active manufacturing facilities in the state: 5 (Source: AWEA)
- Atkinson Industries, Pittsburg, Kansas
- Fuchs Lubricants Co., Kansas City, Kansas
- JR Custom Metal Products, Wichita, Kansas
- Jupiter Composites Inc., Junction City, Kansas
- Siemens, Hutchinson, Kansas
The growth of the domestic manufacturing base gives rise to a multitude of suppliers serving the manufacturers. Kansas continues to see increased growth in the number of companies part of the domestic wind energy manufacturing base.
Number of active suppliers in the state: (Source: AWEA)
- KK Wind Solutions
- Wurth Service Supply
- CMC Concrete Metals
- Mid-Kansas Machine
- Transportation Partners Logistics
- UPDS Wind Distribution Center
- Various Rail Transportation Logistics Facilities
Wind Energy Related Jobs
- Wind turbine technician
- Project Development
- Environmental & Biological Assessments
- Meterological Resource Assessments
- Cultural, Historical and Water Shed Assessment
- Operations and Maintenance
- Project Construction & Management
- Quality Assurance
Wind Energy Workers
©2017 Kansans for Wind Energy
All statistics and data included on this website are sourced from the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) and The Wind Coalition and are updated regularly.